Saturday, July 3, 2010

"Why do you even bother?"

At work the other day, at break time I found two other associates in the breakroom eating their lunches. One of them is a slender 19-yr-old and the other is a pudgy 40-something. They were eating Taco Bell specials and sharing an order of sugary fried cinnamon tortilla strips (I have no idea what they're called officially, and certainly don't need to know).

I pulled my lunch out of the fridge and set it on the table near them. I had a sunflower seed coated cheese ball (1-1/2" to 2" in diameter) and 1/2 cup of chopped apple mixed with lite cool whip and sugar-free butterscotch pudding mix. My coworkers both studied my little containers and exclaimed: "Why do you even bother?" (said by the teen) and "A meal that size is just a teaser!" (said by the 40-something).

None of my coworkers there know that I had WLS. Well, one might suspect, because I used to work with her mom and my WLS is no secret at that company, and if that particular coworker has figured it out, I can trust her not to blab it to everyone else. I'm already famous at this store for my healthy meals ("What healthy thing you got for lunch today, Miss Jean?"). Now I'm famous for being weird, too!

But the funniest part (for me) was the fact that I was too full to finish the apple & Cool Whip stuff! I hid that from my coworkers, though, by taking my teeny containers to the kitchenette counter and hiding behind the fridge while scraping the leftovers into a paper towel before dropping the whole thing in the trash.

No comments: