Thursday, September 16, 2010

Expect the unexpected

From the moment I conceived the idea of writing a self-help adjustable gastric band book, I knew I would succeed. Previously I had written only novels, newsletters (personal & corporate), magazine articles & essays, and product catalog copy - but no self-help books. Looking forward, I could easily see myself doing the research, organization, and writing of Bandwagon. I knew how I would publish and distribute it. I knew I would have to find a bariatric surgeon to check the manuscript for accuracy and (hopefully) endorse the book. All of that worked out well (though more slowly than I would've liked). No surprises, really. I'm not even surprised that the book is selling so well. But the book is also producing some unexpected results.

Last week I sent copies of Bandwagon to several bariatric surgeons, including my own. Yesterday I received an e-mail from Dr. Weaver's office manager thanking me for the book and asking me if I'd be willing to do a workshop for them (based on the book) in January. They think Bandwagon will be a useful tool for their patients, and I agree! So I answered that yes, I'd be happy to do a workshop!

Fortunately I'm not afraid of public speaking, even though I'm a shy and quiet person in most social situations. I have my 7th & 9th grade English teacher, Mr. Zeitler, to thank for that. He insisted that every one of his pupils write and deliver a speech on a regular basis.

No comments: