Thursday, August 18, 2011

Punkalicious Birthday #58



This photo is supposed to show how punkalicious I look at age 58 (with freshly colored hair in dark brown with light brown and blonde highlights), but someone else managed to take over.


Today I celebrate my 58th birthday. And I do mean celebrate, because even though I'm a creaky old grandmother of 9 dogs and 4 cats, I'm also a much smaller and feistier granny now than I was when I had WLS 4 years ago. I'm not thrilled with my sagging, wrinkly, aging skin or the aches and pains that seem to come with aging, but I'm far happier at age 58 than I was at age 18. Fortunately, I don't suffer from birthday anxiety, not even for milestone birthdays. As I creep toward The BIG 60, I'm proud of my accomplishments and the wisdom I've acquired, and looking forward to my 6th decade. Now that I'm a healthy weight, I have the energy and strength to tackle just about any project. The next life lesson I need to master is how to keep myself challenged but not overburdened. In life as in eating, I'm the type who tends to bite off more than I can chew, so my goal now is to work on creating a better balance of work, play and rest in my life.

Recently a friend who's about my age suggested that I could ease my burden by dropping some of my activities. I said, "I know you're right, but…if I could just stop getting ideas about things I want to do…!" Later, I mentally slapped myself for that wish, because I don't want to ever go back to the kind of life I had when sitting in a comfy armchair with a book, a dog, and a bowl of popcorn was my only idea of heaven. I love books, dogs, and popcorn, but not for 12 hours at a stretch!

No comments: