Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Always a bandster at heart

My journey on the bandwagon has taken an unexpected detour. Earlier this year, I learned that the reflux I'd been having was related to esophageal dilation and motility problems. A complete unfill cured the dilation, but because my surgeon will not re-fill my band and strongly recommends removing it, I'm having surgery to remove my band and revise to vertical sleeve gastrectomy on April 27, 2012. I am very sad to say goodbye to my band, but trying to make the best of the circumstances. I absolutely refuse to go back to the land of obesity, and I know myself well enough to realize that I still need a surgical tool to help me with weight management.

I have a lot to learn about the sleeve and you'll probably see me comparing life with the sleeve to life with the band. I'll always be a bandster at heart, and the Bandwagon publications and Facebook support group will go on as before. So stay tuned!

5 comments:

Lap Band Gal said...

Wow! That's big news :)

What are motility problems?

Good luck to you in your surgery and let us know how you're doing/healing.

Debu-chan said...

Best of luck with your revision. I have the sleeve and love it. I hope all goes well for you!

Jean said...

Motility problems have to do with peristalsis - the way the esophagus moves food (or doesn't)down into the stomach.

Toddy said...

Good luck to you tomorrow! You have done so much good for us bandsters with your knowledge and success! It's nice to know that if all else fails, there are other options. I hope you're as happy with the sleeve as you've been with the band!

Dinnerland said...

I'm wishing you the best.
Everyone needs to follow their own best path, but just so you know: I believe I would do the same as you under the circumstances.
Hope you're feeling well...