Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Acai Berry?

The acai berry seems to be everywhere these days - there's an ad for something with acai berry in it on just about every website I cruise past - even our local Starbucks knock-off serves an acai berry smoothie. I hadn't paid much attention to it, but today the aesthetician who does my facials told me that her daughter, who is a nurse practictioner, recommends acai berry to patients who are trying to lose weight because it seems to increase your energy and boost your metabolism. I did a little googling looking for side effects or other reasons not to try it and didn't find much other than a warning that not every acai product sold on the Internet actually contains enough properly-processed acai to be helpful.

So I got a bottle of the brand this nurse practictioner recommends (Natrol). You take one 1000-mg capsule twice a day. It's a huge capsule so I opened it up and dissolved it in my Crystal Light (couldn't taste it).

If I had my druthers, as my mom used to say, I'd get a fill instead of taking acai berry, but my original bariatric surgeon is out of business (long story) and the earliest appointment I could get with another surgeon isn't until July 29th (which seems like it's 12 years away).

Stay tuned for progress reports...

No comments: