Thursday, May 21, 2009

A short fat girl


I've lost 90 pounds since my 1999 driver's license photo was taken, thanks to my lap-band. When I went to renew my license in August 2008 (11 months after weight loss surgery), the clerk at the motor vehicle department exclaimed, "You look like a different person now!"
I am different now in many ways. I am lighter, thinner, healthier, happier, and more energetic. I no longer live to eat...I eat to live.
I'm still a writer, artist, seamstress, wife, daughter, homemaker, dog-lover, and more. I still love to laugh and love to cook. The old Jean is still in there, somewhere.
My mother, who is short and struggled with obesity most of her life, used to say that there was a tall, thin blonde inside her just waiting to get out. I will always have a short, fat blonde girl inside me just waiting to get out. But having weight loss surgery has given me some wonderful tools for lifetime weight management.

No comments: