Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I need a pep-talk

I need a pep-talk.

Last night I went to Pilates class. I've done this class several times before and it never seems to get easier (I guess I need more practice). And last night two young girls - very young, skinny, pretty chickies -were there who made me feel like a gargantuan sea slug. I know it is useless to compare my 55 year old body to their 17 year old bodies.

After class, I had my second personal training session with Crystal (age 21, skinny, pretty). this week we did a different assortment of exercises (mostly weight machines, some free weights, some time on the treadmill), and she made me use much heavier weights and an extra set of repetitions for each exercise. It was brutal, and I felt even older and more inept. But I'm glad I did it. There is no way I would ever challenge myself that way.

I was exhausted when I got home at 9 pm. When I got up at 5:30 this morning, my left hip was very stiff and I thought, "No way am I going to survive aerobics class this morning." By 7:30 I felt a bit more limber so I went to class and survived it, but it was a struggle.

Meanwhile, my weight is stuck even though I'm working out more. I know, I know, I'm building muscle. But I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not eating enough. I'm eating an average of 1400 calories a day and according to my BodyBugg, I'm burning an average of 2000 calories a day. In theory, the 600 calorie deficit ought to produce weight loss of 1.2 lbs/week.

I am scared to eat more than I already do. It was a big deal for me to eat 1/3 cup of scrambled eggbeaters this morning instead of 1/4 cup, but I have got to get over it.

No comments: