Friday, July 30, 2010

Adjusting to my adjustment

I'm still adjusting to my last band adjustment (the fill).

Today is weigh day. I lost 1.6 lbs in the past week – hurray! In April I had bought some dressy “city shorts” to wear to work (on me, they’re more like capris!). When I put them on yesterday morning, they drooped big time. A waste of money to get so little wear out of them, but I like it when clothes get looser instead of tighter!

The droopy shorts were about the only good thing about yesterday...the store was a back-to-school zoo, and we had a customer appreciation promotion with extra discounts. All day long, I kept thinking that something was “off” with me (aside from my ineptitude with ringing up customer purchases), but I wasn’t having much pain, I wasn’t tired…finally I realized, I’m not hungry! I kind of missed it – the hunger, the anticipating of eating, the meal. I’ve had my band for almost 3 years now – I wanted so much to be released from hunger – and when hunger is gone, I miss it!

It was hard to eat anything yesterday, probably because of the stress, but I’m beginning to realize that I can’t eat real food until early to mid afternoon now, and not at all during my 15-min breaks at work no matter what time of day it is (I just can’t eat that fast), so I will have to plan accordingly. Sadly, the protein bars I've been having every morning on the way to work have got to go. I love them – they’re like a “legal” candy bar – but they’re just too dense. So I got some Kashi Go Lean Crunchy fiber & protein bars – not as yummy as the protein bars, but pretty tasty and because they’re so crunchy, it’s easier to eat them.

Also, I have discovered that I have mild lactose intolerance. For the past few months, I’ve had annoying flatulence. I did some internet research and decided to reduce my dairy consumption and to try Lactaid milk and take Lactaid pills when I have anything dairy. That worked very well. Then I ran out of Lactaid milk and was in too much of a rush to go to the supermarket for it. I picked up regular milk at a convenience store and even though I was taking the Lactaid pills, the flatulence came back the next day.

And finally, there’s the pill taking in general. I’ve been splitting my medication tablets in half, but even that isn’t small enough. I’m going to have to switch to quarter pieces. This is like learning to be a bandster all over again!

No comments: