Friday, August 16, 2013

One Year Later

Today is the one year anniversary of my VSG surgery. The good news is that I've lost 47.2 pounds since then. This morning I weighed 117.6 pounds (14.4 pounds below my weight goal, and 113.4 pounds down from my highest recorded weight) and recently I discovered that I can wear size 7 jeans. I can't remember ever wearing that size before. (I do remember that when I was in high school, I hated that I couldn't shop at a mall clothing store called 5-7-9. For sure, I wasn't smaller than a size 5 then.)

The bad news is that I still miss my band and I'm still finding it hard to live with my sleeve. But in a way, that doesn't matter. I've said in the past that if gastric bypass was the only bariatric surgery available to me in 2007, I would've had gastric bypass surgery despite the risks and compromises it might involve. Similarly, if  I was considering WLS for the first time today and the sleeve was the only procedure available to me, I would have VSG surgery, even knowing what I know now. I feel very lucky that I was able to have Lap-Band surgery. It set me on a path to a life of health and mobility that's more wonderful than I ever could have imagined.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your success :)

Sara Bronson said...

I am considering converting to a sleeve from a band.. I've had my band for four years and have had a lot of problems.. I was told you have a group on Facebook that may offer me information?

Jean said...

Sara, I do have a Bandwagon support group on Facebook, but its focus is not on the sleeve or WLS revision. I think one of the group's members started her own FB group for people experiencing band problems. I'll try to get more info about it and let you know what I find out.

Jean said...

Sara, the woman I mentioned in my previous comment has closed her band complications group (too much drama) but said she'd be happy to chat with you. Let me know if you want her contact info.
Jean